Ask a Dentist   »  

Root canal done. Developed tooth abscess. How to get cured?

Hi, I have had many experiences with dental abscesses in my life-unfortunately-bad genes. I had a root canal years ago and have developed problems with an abscess there and per dentist I need the tooth extracted rather than another root canal in that area. I'm trying to wait until January as the very little I have in dental insurance for this year has expired and I'm not in a position to pay out of pocket. Anyhoo-the abscess in that area has been come and go, usually soft, it drains all is good. No pain typically, sometimes a little soreness. As of lately the abscess seems hard and while I can press on it and it diminishes for a while, I'm not noticing drainage. Past couple days it hurts to press on it (and it isn't doing any good anyways). I know ultimately a dentist is in my future but how can encourage this to drain? Burst? Erupt? At one time there was a head below the boil now that whole area is tender and I don't want to make an unpleasant situation worse, it's a holiday weekend with lots of family plans..
It's pale pink to white in color.
Thanks for your help.
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to us,

I empathize with you. Dental infection in a root canal treated tooth can hurt, besides spreading to the surrounding tissues as well. And it is best to drain the well formed abscess under the guidance of an expert oral surgeon

But as you are not in a position to visit a dentist soon, I suggest you the following:
1. Use an antibacterial mouth wash (twice/day),
2. Warm saline rinses (3-4 times/day).
3. Dologel-CT can be used to massage over the soreness (apply with finger and leave it for half an hour).
4. A broad spectrum antibiotic that covers most gram positive, gram negative and anaerobic microbes can be of immense use in such condition. I am not sure if such antibiotics can be prescribed to you by a pharmacist, registered nurse or any other healthcare provider to you. If possible, please do take them.

Though all these measures can help minimizing the damage, I would like you to know that chronic abscess can is concerning as it might progress to a dental cyst if not treated properly. So do plan your visit as early as possible / if problem seems to be persisting.

I hope this answer was useful. Feel free to post further queries,

I wish you good health...