Ask a Dentist   »  

Roof of mouth is numb and white. Have huge bumps on the back of tongue. What treatment should be done?

ENT Specialist
roof of mouth is numb, roof of mouth is white, huge bumps on the back of my tongue, upper light going numb, back of tongue numb
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Numbness of the roof of the mouth will require the testing of the Trigeminal Nerve (Fifth Cranial Nerve).

2. Numbness of the posterior third of the tongue will require testing of the Glossopharyngeal nerve (Ninth Cranial Nerve).

3. The bumps on the back of the tongue may be normall valate paillae.

4. Roof of the mouth turning white may be submucous fibrosis, due to exposure to tobacco or fungal infection.

5. It is not clear what you meant by 'upper light going numb'.

6. The gag reflex will have to be tested. Do you have any tongue weakness, difficulty in speaking or swallowing.

7. The cause will depend on whether these signs or symptoms are one sided or on both sides. Some causes may include viral infections, fungal infections, nutritional deficiencies, strokes, tumors, autoimmune, nerve demyelinating disease and so on.

8. I must emphasize that all the cranial nerves will have to be evaluated by a neurologist before a diagnosis can be made. An MRI and CT Scan may be advised. Kindly get this done on an urgent basis as numbness of the tongue is not a common symptom.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.