Rolled ankle, swollen and numb. Is this something I need to worry about?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I rolled my ankle last Friday. Was able to walk on it immediately. A few days ago, it started getting slightly swollen and a little numb on the front right side. Is this something I need to worry about?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
If you were able to walk after the injury without much pain then a bony injury is unlikely. This seems to be a soft tissue injury is not treated with adequate rest, crepe bandage and brace, then an inflammatory reaction can cause the swelling and numbness that you are having.
Such swelling usually subsides after adequate rest and hot fomentation. You can keep your foot raised on two pillows while resting. Avoid weight bearing for a few days. You can take a mild pain killer for symptomatic relief.
In case the swelling increases or there are associated skin color changes, intense pain or fever then you need to consult an orthopedician for a physical examination and necessary investigations.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Rolled ankle, swollen and numb. Is this something I need to worry about? 9 hours later
Should I be putting an ice pack on it periodically and/or should I wrap it in an ace bandage?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Since the injury is almost ten days old, using a heating pad will be more helpful. You can wrap it in an ace bandage for relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Rolled ankle, swollen and numb. Is this something I need to worry about? 2 hours later
Thanks. Final question: about how long should it take to fully heal?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The time taken for complete healing depends on the extent of the injury and the rest provided. Usually it takes 4-6 weeks for healing.
Regards.