Rod used for fractured femur bone. Femur shattered into pieces while removing rod. Curable?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My friend had a broken femur 20 years ago and had a rod put in. He didnt have it removed because he wasnt in pain. (mistake) Recently the rod broke. He had surgury to remove both pieces. The top piece came out ok. During the removal of the bottom piece of the rod, the femur shattered into many pieces. They did a bone graft but there is a gap (non-union). We understand that the hope is the bone graft and shattered pieces come together and form a bone (union). Is this possible? Where can we read more on this type of situation. My friend is very depressed and scared.
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Gajwani 8 hours later

After reading your friend's symptoms I am assuming that the surgery has recently been done and the gap is small (though grafted) about 1 to 1.5mm. If so, then the chances of healing are good and you should not worry.

Although to give a proper diagnosis, I would like to know exactly when the surgery was done and I would also like to see his scanned X-rays.

You have a feature to upload the reports/images by yourself on the right side of this query page. Please utilize it.

Knowing the size of the gap is crucial. If the gap is large and the graft has failed then a re-surgery may be required.

Hope this helps. Do send me the required X Rays.