Robotic hysterectomy done. Getting stomach ache when coughing or bending. Is this normal?

I had a robotic hysterectomy on the 4th. Most of my abdominal pain has gone away. There has always been one spot that has hurt more. Now when I cough, strain, bend over or lean I get a searing pain in my stomach. It is to the left of my belly button and above any of the incisions. The area is tender to the touch and it literally feels as if there is something moving around in that exact area. Is this normal or something to be concerned about?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
It takes some time [at least 4 weeks] for body to recover from such major surgery. The pain that you are feeling is likely to be due to the XXXXXXX stitches and the forming scar tissue. Most of the times such pain subsides in 2-4 weeks after the procedure. The feeling of something moving in the area is a bowel movement which is a normal finding. Let me explain few facts regarding recovery.

1] No heavy lifting for 4 weeks.
2] Bowel habits usually change, either constipation or diarrhea occurs. It takes some time to return to normal in few people.
3] Appetite varies. Take 3-4 small meals instead of 2 major meals to reduce stress on bowels.
4] Energy intake should be proper. Make sure you take vitamin supplement and yogurt which works as probiotic.
5] Follow routine exercise like walking without stressing too much.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.