Risk of xanax, celexa, margaritas overdose?

Psychiatrist
Question
Someone close to me just took 2.5mg of xanax, 400mg of celexa, and drank 2 large margaritas and 3-4 glasses of wine. She is 5'2 and 98lbs. She is sleeping, but has a normal respiratory rate, and seems very "drunk". What is the risk of overdose? Without any additional symptoms, can we watch her and let her sleep it off?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     30 year old female
•     Complaints of: overdose with 2.5mg of xanax, 400mg of celexa, and drank 2 large margaritas and 3-4 glasses of wine.

She has taken equivalent to 10 tablets of standard dose (0.25mg) of xanax, 20 tablets of standard dose (20mg) of celexa. Apart from that wine contain alcohol which have synergistic action with xanax.

I can understand worry but it is a medical emergency. Her condition can deteriorate any time, which will not give you time to transfer her in hospital. Apart from that there is damage to liver, kidney and heart with higher doses of medicine. In current condition even her respiration, she should be monitored in intensive care unit. She also need gastric lavage as soon as possible. So, admit her urgently in nearest hospital.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Risk of xanax, celexa, margaritas overdose? 7 minutes later
What is the peak and duration of the medications? She seems ok... got up to use restroom on her own successfully.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 20 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Celexa contain citalopram. Its peak occur in around 4-8hours of oral dose. Its half life is 35 hours (In that time drug concentration reduced to half).

Xanax contain alprazolam. Its peak occur in around 2-4 hours of oral dose. Its half life is 11 hours (In that time drug concentration reduced to half).

Even she do well at home, in spite of that she need urgent monitoring in hospital as deterioration in condition may occur any time and it can not be predicted.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Regards.