Risk of interaction with instaflex, taking lisinopril, metolazone, methazolamide, synthroid, cymbalta and mirapex

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I take lisinopril, hydralazine, metropolol, furosemide, metolazone, potassium, methazolamide, synthroid, lipitor, aspirin, luflunomide, cymbalta, and mirapex, plus many vitmins and minerals, circumin, and cinnamon. Is any of these substances at risk for interaction with Instaflex? Thank you for your help.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Arthritis

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later

Instaflex is an anti arthritic preparation which has been advertised widely and its exact composition and ingredients have not been specified. Similarly there are no rational drug trials available to test its efficacy, safety and interactions with other drugs. Most of times such products are subjective in their success and or reactions.

Since you are taking so many medicines already, it is the best not to experiment and take the risk of any unpredictable interactions or side effects.

You can get all the lubricating agents- Chondroitin Sulfate, Hyaluronic Acid, Dycerin and Glucosamine Sulfate prescribed from your Orthopedician after proper examination with individualization of the doses as per your needs.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Follow-up: Risk of interaction with instaflex, taking lisinopril, metolazone, methazolamide, synthroid, cymbalta and mirapex 11 hours later
Dr. Tayal,
Thank you for your response. The ingredients in Instaflex are: 1,500 mg Glucosamine Sulfate, 500 mg MSM, 250 mg White Willow Bark Extract (standardized to 15% salicin), 250 mg Ginger Root Concentrate 4:1, 125 mg Boswellia Serrata Extract (standardized to 65% boswellic acid), 50 mg Turmeric Root Extract (standardized to 95% Circumin), 50 mg Cayenne 40m H.U., and 4 mg Hyaluronic Acid. "Other ingredients named are: gelatin and Crustacean shellfish (shrimp, crab).

To me, these sound pretty benign -- mostly being food substances we often consume -- so they don't seem risky to me. I've taken glucosamine and MSM with no ill effects -- also Cayenne and Curcumin as supplements, with no ill effects -- and often consume ginger root in foods The Noswellia and Hyaluronic acid, and White Willow Bark are not as familiar.

Though there may not be clinical research on these interactions, per se, surely you have some sense of their safety. It seems doctors' responses are always based on whether there is clinical research. . . which is valuable, granted, but not the ultimate authority for everything. Experience tells us a lot. Can you give me more help with this?

Thanks,
Dorothy

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Clinical research is the only way of knowing whether a drug will be effective or not. Instaflex does not contain all the lubricating agents in its optimum concentration. A clinical assessment is necessary to find out the optimum doses of these agents.

You can go ahead with taking instaflex as not many serious drug interactions are expected but whether it will provide any significant benefit or not, this is difficult to guess.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Regards.