Rise in PSA value, taking Benadryl every night. Related?

can the use of benedryl (50 mg) cause a rise in PSA value? I am 62, 6' tall, weigh 205. My number increased from 2.5 to 4.7 over a three year period. I take the benedryl every night for sleep. i have been taking it for about 8 months.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Regarding the use of Benadryl, there have been no studies at all published in the literature which link use of Benadryl to a rise in the PSA. With this in mind I think it is very important for you to discuss this recent test result with your next couple of months. Keeping all this in mind it may be necessary at some point in the future to do a small biopsy of the prostate to make sure there is nothing worrisome going on. I am not concerned at this point that you have anything life-threatening going on but I think this needs to be followed very closely.

I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.