Rise in ALP levels, have been referred to a gastroenterologist. Should I be alarmed?

My alkaline phos.serum is 190 I have been referred to a gastro. Doctor. Should I be alarmed?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 22 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

The rise in ALP levels would mostly be due to stasis of bile in the liver. This is because of your cholecystectomy history. Need not be alarmed, as it is just an elevation of an enzyme and will come down eventually with intervention.

Yes, a gastroenterologist would be able to assess the liver state clinically, and intervene to get that stagnant bile out. So, you should do well after taht and see a drop in levels.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.