Ripped off wax in wrong direction and noticed a bit of skin missing on labia majora. Can I apply Neosporin?

Hello! I was waxing my bikini area yesterday and I accidentally ripped the wax off in the wrong direction and now I have a small section on my labia majora that has a bit of skin missing. Is it OK to apply a topical ointment such as neosporin to the affected area?
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 24 minutes later
Dear Madam,

Well, looking into your problem you can apply a topical ointment over that area like neosporin or betadine ointment. However, if any symptoms like fever, pain swelling appears you need to consult a physician for that. Don’t ignore the problem as it may sometimes lead to local infection.

It is advisable although to see a doctor before starting any treatment because he will be able to judge the extent of lesion and whether antibiotics are required or not for the proper healing and prevention of infection, as the pubic and vaginal area is sensitive and prone to infections

Keep the area clean.

Dr. Shruti