Ask a Urologist   »  

Ripped frenulum and noticed blood. Best way to treat this?

during sexual foreplay I ripped my frenulum. it bled a lot but it slowly diminished. like I'm missing a big piece of skin. I'm not laying in bed on my back with a towel over it. what is the best way to treat it how long will it heal and will there be a scar. should I be putting anything on it like Neosporn or peroxide?
most importantly how do I keep it clean
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Usually, penile frenulam tears heal quickly and do not leave any major scarring. This is because this tissue has a XXXXXXX bloody supply and is also quite elastic (so less chances of scarring).

I would advise the following remedial measures:

- Firstly, if there is active bleeding or oozing, put firm pressure on the wound with a clean cloth till the bleeding stops.

- Once the bleeding has stopped completely, wash the area (with the foreskin gently retracted) with a diluted antiseptic solution, such as Betadine (povidone-iodine).

- Dab the area dry with a clean cloth (cotton wool may stick to the raw area, so a gauze or clean cloth is preferable).

- Apply an anti-septic ointment, such as neosporin over the raw area.

- Repeat these measures daily for the next few days.

- If you are uncircumcised, then it is best to leave the foreskin covering the glans (that is do not leave it retracted back)

- Avoid sexual intercourse or masturbation till the wound heals.

From the picture that you have sent me, though the tear is big, it appears that the attachment of the frenulum to the glans penis is intact, so you don't have to worry much. It should heal on its own in a week to 10 days time.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist
Follow-up: Ripped frenulum and noticed blood. Best way to treat this? 7 minutes later
thank you so much for your support. you have definitely made a difference. I will recommend this service to a many of my colleagues. I have one more question. my blood vessels around the penis seem to be bruised and swollen. purple bruised looking like. will this go away and what should I do about it. thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 9 minutes later
Hello again,

Some amount of bruising and inflammation is expected after an injury to that area. You can minimize this by appying cold compress. You can dip a clean cloth in ice water and dab it gently over the bruised / swollen areas frequently. This will reduce the inflammation as well as be soothing for the pain / discomfort.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

(Kindly leave a review if you are happy with my anwers.)