Ringing sound in left ear. Is it an ear infection ?

I can't tell if I have a ear infection or not.

I have a cold for 2-3 days. And today my left ear is acting funny. I can't tell if I have a ear infection but I hear a ringing sound on my left ear. My right is fine. Do I have a ear infection? I found out I have tinnitus
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later

Based on your description, the chance that you are suffering with an infection of left ear is very likely.

Though there are many conditions which can cause tinnitus, the probable cause in your case can be infection of ear.

When a person suffers with cold for a couple of days, the Eustachian tube which connects middle ear with naso-pharynx may become blocked. If it remains blocked, dormant bacteria present behind tympanic membrane (Ear drum) may get multiplied and infect middle ear.

If there is no associated pain or fever, it can be in the initial stage. I would encourage you to consult your physician / ENT surgeon to avoid progression and complications. Your physician can prescribe you appropriate antibiotics, antihistamines and antiinflammatory drugs to take care of this situation. Meanwhile as you plan the consultation, you can try XXXXXXX steam inhalation three times a day. It will benefit you.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you have further query, I am available to answer, but if you don't require further clarification, please close the discussion by accepting the answer.

With good wishes,