Ringing sound in ear, feeling of liquid presence, sensation of being drained. Had recurrent ear infections.

I have a buzzing sound in my ear, when I yawn, blink or chew. I have have mean ear infections in my life, so there is a lot of scaring. I almost feels like liquid in there at time. I find if I sleep on the ear that buzzes, it feels betting in the morning as if it drained. I had a really bad ear infections about a year ago, and this has been happening ever since. the buzzing sound will turn in to a poping sound at times.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later

Thanks for your query ,

The symptoms you have right now are for sure due to previous ear infections , The scarring or damage to the structures inside may be one cause but the buzzing sound / tinnitus ( ringing sound ) are mostly due to nerve injury secondary to infection.

I would ask you to get your ear examined either with a tunning fork by a ENT specialist or get an Audiometry test to rule out impending or already developed sensoneural hearing loss , So that you can act early and treat before it gets worse.

Meanwhile do consume Multivitamin supplements specially ones with Vit B12 which can prevent and treat such nerve injuries.

The popping sound and the sensation of being drained are probably due to scarring and the damages to the inner structures which will fade over time.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.