Ringing ear, dizziness, painless, good hearing, normal BP, pulse rate

I'm 50yrs old male with no medical problems (till now !)
Two weeks back I started to hear a subtle high pitch sound in my right ear that is accompanied to dizziness. At first, the sound would only happen when I move my head. It would last only 5-10 seconds and when the sound stops the dizziness disappear at the exact same moment. It would only happen 3-5 times per day.
But now it is happening very frequently. It is worse when I move my position
I don't have any pain in my ear, and my hearing is good. I never suffered from any ear problem before. My blood pressure and pulse rate is normal.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX thanks for posting query.

The problem that you have is pretty common and there is no need to worry about it.In both the ears inside the ear drum there is set of bones and some fluid in inner ear with granules.This all together is known as vestibular system and that is responsible for maintain posture of body and balance.

This system when gets disturbed by something,like viral infection,a jolt to the head or even sometimes without any reason,leads to the problem that you have.

When ever you move your head you will feel giddy and this more frequent when you change posture.In many cases it is benign means without any obvious reason,and in some cases some treatable reason may be there.When ever the granules which are misplaced get back to there place this problem will go.

Few of the cases some irritation of nerve that supplies ear may also lead to this.

There is no need worry,just visit your ent surgeon and get your self examined and he give medicines accordingly.

In the mean time avoid taking cold liquids,take light diet and do movements of head slowly.Prevent water from entering inside the ear canal.

I hope I have answered your query , I am available to answer your follow ups as well

Follow-up: Ringing ear, dizziness, painless, good hearing, normal BP, pulse rate 1 hour later
Hello Dr Pragnesh

So it could be a viral infection or nerve irritation..and possibly granules which are just misplaced for no reason.

Would it be possible to let me know the typical symptoms of the viral infection and the typical treatment ?

Same for the nerve irritation

Many Thanks
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Glad to see you again.

In case of viral infection of upper respiratory tract, the normal set of symptoms are fever, body ache, cold, running nose, etc. Typically viral infections are self limiting and needing symptomatic remedies/treatment. .Avoid cold liquids and fried diet. Steam inhalation could be very useful in those circumstances.

The granule displacement is the mechanism for symptoms not the cause itself.

Further nerve irritation, most often accompany infections which I explained above. It is diagnosed based on examination as well as by Audiogram (graphical recording hearing test) - a test done, if the nerve irritation is to be suspected strongly.

In your case, the possible reasons that I mentioned are theoretical and which are common. A physical examination would be necessary to confirm the diagnosis.

Take care and Bye for now.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.