Ring worm rash on stomach, pregnant, on trimovate cream, providing relief. Safe to use trimovate during pregnancy ?

Oncologist
Question
I have a small ringworm rash on my stomach and I am 30 weeks pregnant. I have had it for about 3 weeks. I have been using trimovate cream for about a week now and it looks like it might be going away. The doctor prescribed me the cream but I am now worried about whether it is safe to continue using it while pregnant, particularly on my abdomen. What do you think? I am using it on only a small area but I am still concerned.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Trimovate cream is mainly a steroid medication and can certainly be effective at controlling inflammation and irritation of the skin such as that which you are experiencing.

At this point I think you should consider using a pure anti fungal cream which is readily available at your local pharmacy.

I would recommend at this time that you purchase a tube of clotrimazole cream. You could then apply this cream twice daily and alternate application of this with the Trimovate. This is a safe combination especially this late into your pregnancy.

I think within 10 days you will experience a significant improvement in your symptoms.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga.

Follow-up: Ring worm rash on stomach, pregnant, on trimovate cream, providing relief. Safe to use trimovate during pregnancy ? 24 minutes later
Thank you so much for your response. That is very helpful. Would you
agree that the Trimovate cream is safe to use during
pregnancy? I will get the anti fungal cream also.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

When used as directed by your doctor Temovate is safe in pregnancy - particularly near the end of pregnancy or in the third trimester.

Thanks again for the query. It has been a pleasure discussing your health concerns with you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga