Right thigh is bigger than left thigh. X-ray showed no abnormalities. Reason?

Feb 2013

I have my nephew which is 4 month old, we have noticed that her right thigh is bigger than her left thigh.
Before two days ,we have visited a doctor who advised us to do X-ray for her hips ,and the results showed that there were no abnormalities without giving us the reason behind this difference between the two thighs.
He just advised us that he will monitor and scrutinize the case between the two thighs on a regular basis.
I am really worried about the possible reasons that leads to such case and what can be the solution .
Now ,I am really don't know what we shall do.
Thanks in advance for your kind advise.

Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Monitor size, be in follow up.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

In humans usually the limbs appear symmetrical grossly, but there may be a slight variation in sizes of limbs.

Bigger right thigh is suggestive of hypertrophy of tissues of that particular limb.

Some times there may be an abnormal tuft of blood vessels in that particular limb which is bigger. Because of high vascularity the limb will grow more. Investigation like an ultrasound of that limb will rule out any hypertrophy of soft tissue in addition to X XXXXXXX

Another possibility is congenital lymphedema in which there is accumulation of lymph at various places which will present with enlarged limb or involved part.

And there may be no underlying abnormality which can be taken as a normal variation.

As the X XXXXXXX and physical examination by the pediatrician is normal, nothing to worry.

Just wait and watchful policy is needed. And you can discuss about ultrasound of right thigh with the pediatrician in next visit.

Monitor the sizes of both thighs' circumference and the length of legs at regular intervals and be in follow up with the doctor.

No intervention is required if the limb is not causing any discomfort, disturbance in function or pain to the child.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.