Right lower abdominal pain. Does this sound like appendix or diverticulitis?

I have severe pain on my lower right side, it have been like that for 4 days, feels like my intestines are twisted. also blouted. does this sound like appendix or diverticulitus?

Thank You
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed history and Physical examination needed.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.

There are plenty of causes for right lower abdominal pain.
With out proper abdominal examination and detailed history, it is very difficult to predict and diagnose the exact cause.

Other than pain and bloating there are many symptoms like fever, appetite changes, pain fluctuation, vomiting, nausea, bloating, changes in bowel habits, relationship to the menstrual cycle, and if the pain is affected by food, pressure or bodily position., which need to be correlated with physical examination, to yield the clinical diagnosis.

As you suspected, the pain may be due to appendicitis.
But appendicitis is usually associated with fever and vomiting.
There is a severe tenderness in the right lower side of abdomen.

Renal stones also cause pain in the right lower abdomen. When the stones moves from kidney to lower down ureter, it may cause severe abdominal pain. It may also associated with vomiting, burning urination and back pain.

Other causes include intestinal Intussusception, food poisoining.
Food poisoining msy be associated with abdominal cramps, vommiting, loose stools.
If you are female, other emergency causes are torsion ovarian cyst and ectopic pregnancy.

Thus detailed history and physical examination is essential for clinical diagnosis.
If necessary further investigations like Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis, X- XXXXXXX abdomen, CT and MRI Scan abdomen may be needed depending on the clinical diagnosis.

Ususlly appencitis and renal stones are diagnosed by Ultrasound abdomen.

Based on the diagnosis, treatment would be given. For food poisoining, Antibiotics and Oral rehydration solution salts are usual treatment.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.