Right lobe of liver extended to pelvic area in CT scan. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had just received the results of my CT scan of my stomach. It was done because I had x-rays that should my liver was enlarged but all my blood work was normal. The results the Dr. told me was that the liver showed that it was enlarged it is just the shape of it, the right lobe goes down to my pelvis area. My question is, is this normal?
Sorry, The CT scan should the liver wasn't enlarged!
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
An enlarged liver reaching upto the pelvis is definitely not normal and needs to be investigated for its various causes.
If your CT scan could not detect the enlarged liver then you must get an MRI of abdomen done as an MRI is more sensitive in detecting any soft tissue abnormalities.
You need to get other investigations done including an ultrasound scan of abdomen and some blood tests to find out any organic pathology.
Please visit your physician to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Right lobe of liver extended to pelvic area in CT scan. Advice? 10 hours later
All my blood work was normal and the ct scan showed that the liver wasn't enlarged the right lobe just went down to the pelvis area. The doctor made it sound like it was ok and my liver was just shaped that way. The size of my liver I guess is normal. What should be my next steps?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the size of your liver is normal and there is only abnormal positioning of your right lobe of liver then it might only be an anatomical variation with no actual pathology. Still doing an MRI scan will help in further confirmation.
Hope my answer is helpful.