Right leg is weak and stiffness below knees. MRI showing lumbar spine impression. Surgery needed?

Neurologist, Surgical
Hi , 27 yr Male... I recently got my spine MRI
Cervical and Dorsal looks fine
Lumbar Spine Impression
Chronic fracture/ unfused ossification centre in the right inferior articular process of L5 with right L5-S1 facet joint arthropathy

Mild diffuse narrowing of bilateral sacroilliac joint space. No obvious articular or subchondral marrow edema - suggested follow up

Can you please explain in lay man terms on what it means?
My right leg always feels week, my muscle below the knee always feels stiff and also i have some pain in the thigh and calf .. Recently in my knee , ankle and bottom of my feet hurts all in the right leg sometime i get on my left leg also.
Also, can this cause constant UTI issues?
Is there a fix for this other than a surgery? if so what would that be.. If its a surgery what would it be..
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lumbar Spondylosis

Detailed Answer:
My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Your MRI lumbosacral spine reveals unfused ossification of right articular
process of L5 with facetal arthropathy. Which means mild wear & tear changes in spine which are very common.

Getting a fracture of one side articular process is a rare thing in a normal adult (but can occur in few sportspersons) . Pain /numbness in right leg can be managed with analgesics/ muscle relaxants
& supportive physiotherapy.

Surgery is not indicated in your case as there is no spinal stenosis .

UTI has no relation with spondylosis .

Dr Praveen K Nath
Deptt of neurosurgery
Follow-up: Right leg is weak and stiffness below knees. MRI showing lumbar spine impression. Surgery needed? 13 hours later
Thanks for your response .. Since they have mentioned chronic do you think that could cause more issues. Also the problem is more on my right leg only is this because it's a fracture of the right articular. Also I feel like it hits something in my right buttocks how do I deal with that (excercises??)

Also, I have been taking ativan as an antidepressant for a week now , I stopped taking it today and I felt spasm all over my face jaw and even my tongue. I've had neck spasm for over 4 weeks now and all I get it some relief by taking lorzone.. After I took ativan the spasm is almost gone .. What do you think is causing this issue. My mom had cervical dystonia just a couple of years back . Could I've inherited it? I don't get headaches once in a while mild pain and that's it. Also my cervical spine did show cavernous hemangioma on my c1 c2 could that be causing the spasm .. I am so unsure .. Can you please shed some light on this ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of inheriting the disease is unlikely

Detailed Answer:

For pain in right legs/buttocks, you can continue taking analgesics /muscle relaxants.

You can take PREGABALIN/GABAPENTIN also for further relief .

Continue taking ATIVAN for generalized muscle spasms .

Whether these spasms are a precursor of dystonia ,can not be predicted . BUT it is inherited in very very few cases .

Vertebral haemangiomas normally remain benign .nothing much to worry about .

Dr Praveen K Nath
Follow-up: Right leg is weak and stiffness below knees. MRI showing lumbar spine impression. Surgery needed? 14 hours later
Thanks for your reply... But now I have burning sensation on both my feet soles could my problem be causing this or is this something new
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
pregabalin will help

Detailed Answer:

Burning sensation in both feet can be due to neuropathy (less likely to be due to spondylosis ).

Please check your blood sugars & consider taking tablet PREGABALIN/GABAPENTIN. They are effective for the nerves.