Right knee pain with swelling, Using walker, red spot on knee. Should immobilize knee with knee brace?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My right knee hurts when I walk, stand or move my foot to the right. The pain is o on the inside of my knee. I do not recall injuring it although I remember feeling pain for the first time during sleep. The pain has gotten worse over the past few days. I could walk on it with slight pain. The pain is now severe so I am using a walker to take some weight off to get around. My knee area appears to be swollen and yesterday I noticed a rectangular red spot about 1 inch by 2 inches just below m
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Right knee pain with swelling, Using walker, red spot on knee. Should immobilize knee with knee brace? 3 hours later
I need to know if I should immobilize my knee with a knee brace. No "popping" or "cracking" in my knee but something seems to move on the inside of my knee when I massage it with my fingers. Please respond to me at YYYY@YYYY .

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
At your age, the pain in the knee is likely to be due to stress related minor capsular inflammation or due to decrease in the joint lubricants.
An MRI of the affected knee joint will help in determining the type of pathology and extent of affection.
The mild inflammation of the knee after some activity mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace. Avoid weight bearing on your knee at all costs.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Right knee pain with swelling, Using walker, red spot on knee. Should immobilize knee with knee brace? 15 hours later
THANK YOU Dr. Tayal. You did not mention the red rectangular rash...hopefully it's not a sign of anything XXXXXXX going on with my knee. I have been icing the area sometimes for an hour or more. Maybe I overdid it and caused the spot from that? It looks almost like a burn on my skin.

Can I walk around with the knee brace without the aid of a walker or crutches?
Follow-up: Right knee pain with swelling, Using walker, red spot on knee. Should immobilize knee with knee brace? 38 minutes later
After researchiung knee braces, I see there are many kinds. What kind should I use?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The red rash on the skin might be external due to excessive icing or may be due to a mild hemorrhage related to injury or a bleeding disorder. A direct examination and investigations are required to find out the cause.

You can walk around with a knee brace but not before you are properly investigated to find the cause and extent of problem in your knee.

Regarding the type and size of knee brace, this can be decided only after a physical examination. Your Orthopedician will help you in deciding the best one for you.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Regards.

Follow-up: Right knee pain with swelling, Using walker, red spot on knee. Should immobilize knee with knee brace? 18 hours later
Thank you Dr. Tayal. I will follow-up as directed.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
You are most welcome.
You can keep me updated regarding the treatment.