Right knee Legament break, anterior cruciate ligament. Treatment?

Height: 5'-9"
Weight: 87 kgms.
Right knee Legament break: ACL
I am a software engineer and employed in a private company at Trivandrum and 30 years of age unmarried going to marry very soon. I have a knee legament break and mild diss-location in my right leg 7 years back, since then I was fine but recentely I took part in my office cricket tournament, suddenly I find some pain and friction in the area around knee. I visited an ortho... my Dr has adviced me operation for which I am not mentally ready. Please advice me other ways of treatment or let me know whether operation will make my knee perfect and normal with no other side efficts.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

You most probably have torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament which helps in stabilizing your knee joint. It is not uncommon to see a previous injury causing problems now when not treated completely.

Actually the events would be better know if you had done an MRI earlier when injured, the degree of tear of the ligament is important. The intraoperative details and recovery after the surgery cannot be predicted without knowing these.

You should avoid outdoor games, which cause stress on the knee joint. Ideally Surgery is must.

If torn ligament it is a structural problem, which cannot be cured by medicines. No other –pathy will help you. You may wear braces but it looks awkward and further weakens the muscles. Physiotherapy may help by strengthening the muscles but the defect will remain till operation.

You should contact a KNEE SURGEON. It is a sub specialty branch of Orthopedics, where the Orthopedic Surgeon will do only Knee Joint Surgeries.

You are unnecessarily apprehensive about surgery. There are two options – open surgery or Arthroscopic Surgery.

You should opt for Arthroscopic Surgery of Knee Joint. There will not be a single suture on your skin. The Arthroscopic Surgeon will use to probes with diameter of a pen from two sides. Then he will repair the Anterior Cruciate Ligament under scope vision. He puts two Bandages on the two openings. There is a minimal hospital stay and the results are miraculous.

You need to reduce your weight. Your BMI is 29.07. You should aim to keep it below 25. that is weight less than 72 kg. Overweight causes excessive strain on the knee joint.

Waiting to solve your query during follow-up.