Right hip pain. Worse when walking. Spreads to groin. Why is it severe?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hip pain
I am a 70 year old male,5' 10", 180lb. Right hip pain more than 6months. Pain only when walking especially on hard surfaces like concrete.Gets worse and worse after 50-100 yards until I can barely lift the leg. Improves when I sit down. what specialist should I see and what tests are needed to make a diagnosis? The pain goes into the groin and is quite severe.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From your description it seems that you are having problem in your hip joint during weight bearing. This could happen due to capsular inflammation, hip ligaments injury, hip joint infections or due to arthritic changes.
For proper diagnosis, investigations like X-rays and MRI of the affected hip are entailed.
You might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order the relevant investigations to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your hip joint- avoid weight bearing on the affected leg.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your hip will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.