Right groin sharp pain, lasts 15minutes, happens frequently.Please suggest.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi 14yr girl basketball player. right groin sharp pain about 2inches down from my leg crease on the inside. it last about 10 -15 minutes in one area and goes away doesnt hurt anymore or any less when running, walking, sitting, same amount of pain started about a week ago experienced the pain maybe15-20 times in the past week
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
It seems that pain you are having is due to recurrent muscle sprains. It is common in people who don't warm up and stretch properly before moving their muscles.
Doing too much,too soon and too fast creates problem.
Repeated injuries cause formation of scar tissue and subsequently complete healing doesn't take place .
Other factors are
Poor fitness levels and lack of regular exercises
Poor nutrition and obesity

Treatment is done by
Icing of the affected muscles.
If pain,take Stretching of muscles by pulling both legs towards chest with hands below knees

Take enough calcium,VIT D and B complex vitamins
Do stretching for 15 minutes before you play your basketball
Use proper shoes
Strengthening your muscles with proper physiotherapy.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Right groin sharp pain, lasts 15minutes, happens frequently.Please suggest. 17 minutes later
ice doesnt seem to help, heat has helped a little i have pulled muscles before and this doesnt feel like that. when the pain comes and i try to move leg i feel a pop in that area. but i could be sitting all day and the pain comes on sudden with no exercise being done and then it goes away on its own 10 /15 minutes later without doing anything to help it.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the pain is persistent and starts even while sitting comfortably then the cause needs to be investigated.
It could be a muscle cyst or a scar tissue in the area. Investigations like MRI will help in proper diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.