Right dosage of Potkolr

what is the right dosage of Potkolr. serum pottassium is 2.9
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Syp Potklor (1.5gms/15ml) dosage depends on the age and nutritional status.Usual dose considering your age into account it would be 15ml thrice daily taken with water.Regular serum potassium levels has to tested to plan on stopping the syrup.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Right dosage of Potkolr 11 minutes later
The question was regarding my mother. I 've been giving her two tablespoons in water once daily but her K+ levels are not showing improvement. Should i increase to two table spoons Twice daily?

Also, along with potassium deficiency, she has developed tendency to go for urine frequently, especially during nights when the frequency increases to every hour or even earlier.

Are the two conditions related? What should be done? Pl advise.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

No, taking more potklor will not help as the absorption has a threshold and anything more than 15ml would not be absorbed and do not show any increase in the pottasium levels.

Yes, the increased urination could be related to hypokalemia (low serum potassium). Increased urination may cause loss of potassium in urine, well this could not be ascertained by any tests but can be considered in management.If she is on any diuretics (medications to increase urine out put in cases of edema) I would suggest you to get the medications revised.If not on any such medications then the excess urination could be attributed to diabetes alone and diabetic medications has to be revised.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.