Right chest pain every now and then. Taking BP medications. What is causing this?

I have a pain on right side of my upper chest for 2 or 3 seconds that I feel every few minutes. It doesn't matter whether I am motionless or walking. It does not seem to be affected by more activity. I am 74 years old and take blood pressure medicine.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

From the symptoms that you have mentioned and considering your age and history of hypertension, I would suggest you to get a cardiac check up done first of all to rule out any cardiac cause as any chest pain is cardiac in origin unless proved otherwise. You need to get an electrocardiogram and TMT (treadmill test) done to completely rule it out.

Secondly it can be due to anxiety neurosis or psychological because muscular pain and cardiac pain does not present for a few seconds only and are usually persistent. If cardiac cause is ruled out then anxiety neurosis should be ruled out.

Some of the treatment options which you can follow:

1)     When you have such symptoms, breathe slowly through the nose and talk to your family and friends.

2)     Do not take caffeine of alcohol at night just before going to bed.

3)     Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.

4)     You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.