Right and ring finger was injured and swollen. Twisted and having pain. How to get rid of this pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Almost 6-8 months back my right hand ring finger got injured and swelled while catching a leather ball while playing cricket. It did not bleed but swelled. Since then i have a regular pain in the main joint of my finger when i try to stretch them hard. Last week again it was twisted while playing football which again erected the real pain. What should I do to get rid of this pain completely since i have an another tournament next month.
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Strap the finger and take rest.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have studied your case.

First I will advise to do x XXXXXXX and rule out any unicortical fracture in your finger.
According to your history it looks that there is possibility of injury to ligament of metacarpal or phalange joint.
If you are having swelling and pain you can strap your finger to get proper rest to joint.And apply crepe bandage for support and compression.

Use ice packs to reduce swelling, inflammation and pain.
Physiotherapy with ultrasound and Tens will help you,
For early healing you can take Tab celin [vit C] and antioxidant with anti-inflammatory [Tab enzomac plus ].
If there is no relief them you may need to do MRI.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health and speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Right and ring finger was injured and swollen. Twisted and having pain. How to get rid of this pain? 27 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks a lot for your reply !!

1) I do not prefer to strap my hand with crepe bandage because once i remove the bandage from my finger, it gives me severe pain for an hour or so and after all my finger works perfectly fine unless i stretch them hard. I can work with this finger on my laptop & any other daily chores but while shaking hand tightly, it gives me pain. In normal condition when i do not use hand for any hard work, it remain fine.

2) For the last 2-3 days i am doing hot water treatment by dipping my finger in the water for 15-20 mins with stretching and due to which i have seen slight reduction in the swelling. Now I am confused that should i continue with hot water treatment or start ice pack.

3) Will go for xray and take the medicines as prescribed by you.

4) I have heard that cold therapy is given to reduce pain temporarily but hot treatment helps to remove the pain forever. Pl suggest.

Thanks
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Indicates ligament injury

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Presentation of your complain suggest that there is ligament injury of your joints which when stretched leads to pain.
No need to use crepe bandage for strapping ,if you just tie your adjacent finger to injured one it will give rest.

Do not get confused ,both hot and cold fomentation are techniques for giving rest to tissues. If you do alternate hot and cold fomentation that will give best results.Keep gap between two fomentation.

Both therapy will increase process of tissue healing and will reduce pain.

Follow-up: Right and ring finger was injured and swollen. Twisted and having pain. How to get rid of this pain? 4 days later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX

One last thing i want to ask you that medicines Tab celin [vit C] and Tab enzomac plus as prescribed by you above, how many tabs from each to take in a day and for how long.

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
HI

You can take tab celin once a day for one month.

Tab enzomac plus twice day for around a week.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer follow-up queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, give your review at the end of the discussion.

Dr Gandhi V