Rice done for sprained ankle. Having burning sensation on the back of the ankle. Treatment?

Jun 2015

I am a 32year old female who slipped in the wet 3 days ago and sprained my ankle. I RICE'd it for 2 days and put heat on it for 1 and the pain has slowly gone and i Can walk so much better. However tonight I feel a burning sensation on the back of my ankle. What could this be and how do I treat it?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 59 minutes later

It is appreciable that you RICE'd your sprained ankle because of which it is recovering.

The burning sensation on the back of the ankle can be attributed to:
1. Nerve compression secondary to the injury.
2. Peripheral neuropathy
3. Diabetes
4. Deficiency of certain nutrients like Iron, Folic acid, Calcium, etc. which also interferes with blood formation & nerve conduction

It can be managed by taking multivitamin preparation containing Vit B1, Vit B6, Vit B12, which act as Nerve rejuvinators.
Analgesic, anti inflammatory preparations & muscle relaxants can be used if pain & swelling is still there.

If the symptoms still persist, it will be better to consult your General Physician.
Appropriate management step will be taken based on detailed history, physical examination & certain investigations like complete blood count, blood sugar levels & nerve conduction studies.

Meanwhile, you should maintain adequate hydration, take a healthy balanced diet & avoid stress.

Wishing you a good health.

Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.