Rib pain, tingling sensation, soreness, night sweats. Wants to do MRI. Damaged nerves?

Neurologist
Question
i have a tingling sensation in a couple of ribs on the left. The ribs are very tender and sore to touch. I've had it since April and the doctor doesn't know what it is. It feels like a nerve regenerating after surgery(know what that feels like) but I haven't had any surgery in that area. What could it be? Would an MRI show a damaged nerve? I also have severe night sweats and have had upper left back pain for a couple of years. I don't know if the last two issues are related, but the sore ribs are driving me insane.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 6 hours later

Treating pain under left rib cage can be complicated because of the wide variety of possibilities that can be causing the symptoms. Presence of tenderness of the ribs, night sweats and pain in the left upper back may indicate problem in the vertebral column and the spinal roots which exit the vertebra.

So I personally feel you need to consult your Neurologist for a good clinical examination and for syndromic diagnosis. MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) of the spinal cord and the exiting nerves is required to know the cause of the problem.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your spine specialist.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Rib pain, tingling sensation, soreness, night sweats. Wants to do MRI. Damaged nerves? 16 hours later
If you take out the night sweats and back pain, what else could be causing the tender rib problem given there is no obvious fracture?
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later
Thanks for reverting back.

Rib pain can be caused by a variety of mild to serious disorders, diseases or conditions that can result from infection, myocardial infarction (heart attack), inflammation, trauma, malignancy, and other abnormal processes. Diseases and conditions of organs and tissues in your chest, such as the lungs, heart and stomach, can result in chest pain that may be difficult to distinguish from rib pain caused by conditions of the ribs.

Common causes of rib pain include rib and chest injuries, costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilage between the ribs and breastbone), fibromyalgia, neuritis, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, rib infection and spinal ligament disorders including scoliosis and kyphosis.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist