Rhinoplasty, swelling in nose, tender to touch post operation. Treatment ?

Hi, it is 3 months after my revision rhinoplasty and my recovery was going smoothly until this afternoon my nose has swelled to the point where is looks as though it is 2 weeks post op and it is tender to touch. I have not experienced sudden swelling like this since my operation. How could this have happened? Thank you
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

It takes a full year to see the final changes after a rhinoplasty procedure. The majority of the swelling does subside within the first 2 months, however, that last 10-20% takes a full year to subside. This is especially true in the tip of the nose where the skin is the thickest.

But if you have reddness or tenderness you will have to check with your surgeon to be sure. I recommend applying ice packs and sleeping with the head of the bed elevated to reduce the swelling.

Hope my answer is adequate, In case of any doubts, I am available for follow up.