Rhinoplasty scheduled, taken Oxycodone without prescription. Will I have complications during the surgery if I do not inform the doctor?

ENT Specialist
hello. I am having a rhinoplasty tomorrow, and have to go register for my surgery today. I took about 90 mg of oxycodone in the last 2-4 days.... My question is, since i am not assigned a prescription for oxycodone, will I end up dying or having severe complications on the surgery table tomorrow if i do not inform my doctor?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 53 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Severe complications or sudden death on table should not be a cause for worry. Assuming that you are otherwise healthy, Oxycodone is metabolized quickly and should be undetectable in the body after 3-4 days.

2. You should inform the Anesthetist and your Surgeon immediately about the dose of Oxycodone and the time of intake.

3. The final decision will be taken by your anesthetist.

4. Rhinoplasty is an elective operation. It is not an emergency. You may postpone it if you have developed a fear of such issues during surgery (due to Oxycodone). It is important that you go in for surgery without this stress.

5. The other important thing here is whether you took this Oxycodone (without a prescription which violates the Controlled Substances Act) as a habit or was it a one off short dose. If you have been taking Oxycodone regularly, you may experience withdrawal if you suddenly stop taking Oxycodone.

I must emphasize that the practice of Anesthesia has advanced considerably in the last few years and is very safe as long as your anesthetist is informed. Opioids have been used as a part of anesthesia for decades. It is unfair to not inform your surgical team.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.