Rhinoplasty, nose disfigured, swelling. Cause?

ENT Specialist
I got a rhinoplasty six days ago and just got my bandages off today. My nose looks rotated to the right, like he did the surgery with my head titled to the left. The nose looks perfect when I turn my head slightly to the right, but looks crooked when I straighten my head. I do still have swelling and cannot smile do to an uneven amount of swelling in my face. Would the swelling cause an illusion of a rotated nose or is this the way my nose was made due to an error during surgery? The surgery was done to ellevate a drooping tip and eradicate a hump in the middle of my nose.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The immediate healing period is three to four weeks. It is best not to evaluate the shape of your nose till then. Local swelling will subside till then. Local swelling may make your nose appear tilted. XXXXXXX healing and fibrosis that will decide the final shape of your nose may extend up to six months from the time of surgery. Minor changes in shape that may straighten your nose again are possible.

2. If you draw a face with both sides identical, it does not look human. Every person's face has some asymmetry. The slight asymmetry of our faces gives us our unique identity.

3. You should wait for six months before you decide anything further.

4. A pre-existing deviated nasal septum, asymmetrical trimming or suturing of nasal cartilage can cause a slight twist to the nose. If you have access to your pre-operative clinical notes, operative notes and pre & post-op photographs, it may be possible to comment on the reasons for a tilted nose.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.