Rheumatism, pain and swelling in joints, on allopathy, ayurvedic, homeopathic medication. Treatment and diet suggestions ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor, My father (age 70) is suffering from Rheumatism. He has severe ache and mild swelling in almost all the joints in his hands and legs. He has undergone several type of treatments (Allopathy, Ayurvedha, Homeo, Naturopathy,..) for a long period of time. He got temporary relief and again continued struggling with the problem after few months/weeks. He was told that he may not improve due to the age factor. As of now he cannot sit on floor; cannot get up immediately from a chair. He is leading his life only with his will-power. Please suggest him some kind of diagnose/treatment. Also pls suggest some kind of diet. Is there any chance of curing his condition slowly?

Thanks in Advance
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 39 hours later

Your father seems to have reached an advanced state of rheumatoid arthritis. In rheumatoid arthritis or RA the joints are attacked by our own immune system causing destruction of the joint cartilage and synovium. Slowly over a period the joints get deformed. The entire pathology is beyond the scope of this answer but all this is just the basics of the disease.

After knowing this, you may also have noticed that there are flaring of symptoms once in a while called as relapse of the disease. At your fathers stage these are the things he has undergone to reach an advanced stage of fixed deformities of hand and foot joints.

Its good to know you have tried all types of therapies. I cannot comment on the rest but in allopathy, you have to take Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatoid Drugs (DMARD's) for a long time. They in combination with anti inflammatory drugs helps patients to prevent deformity formation and prevents relapses, besides keeping them painfree. If he has fixed deformities then a surgical correction and synovectomy is necessary. He may use corrective and supportive splints along with the said treatment.

Managing rheumatoid is a team effort and other organs like heart, kidneys etc also need evaluation.

I hope this helps you understand his condition better and what needs to be done, since will power would only get him so far.

Please get back to us if you need more information about any aspect of the aforesaid line of management. I'm available for follow up.
Good day.