Retracted nipple, lump in same breast, no lymph nodes. History of breast cancer. What is the prognosis?

i had all treatment for breast cancer in 2008, also herceptin for 1 year .now i have a retracted nipple on other side. just realised. mammogram 1 year ago.
I have a lump in the same breast .no lymph nodes. previous time stage was 2b. what is the prognosis and life expectancy if i have a 2nd cancer in my remaining breast which has not spread elsewhere. i am a medical doctor.petscan 8 months ago was clear. please answer me now .
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 29 minutes later

Thanks for writing.

Lump and retracted nipple in the opposite breast may suggest a new cancer, but benign disease cannot be ruled out entirely. You should immediately get a mammogram and biopsy. If it is malignant then further staging as appropriate will be needed.

Women who have had one breast cancer are at a higher risk for another one as compared to the general population. But the prognosis will be like any cancer of the same stage in an woman who had never had cancer. I mean to say that your previous cancer will not affect the treatment and results of this one.

I am sure it is an early disease and you will get cured from it.