Retching followed by bowel movement, lightheadedness, heavy nose, mucus. Should I be worrying too much?

Odd symptoms - Daily Dry Heaving (retching) in the morning, following a bowel movement, lightheaded, with a heavy, stuffy feeling in nose and throat, lots of mucus, ears ringing, a tenderness in the middle of my back ... short but severe retching attack of five minutes relieves me me and i stop --- but tired and dizzy Also frequently occurs immediately after eating Very distressing ..

wirst is morning and it settles down in afternoon and evening .. worrying about it makes it worse
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 38 minutes later

The most likely reason for retching in morning can be due to acidity and GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disorder) in your case.

It is a condition of hypermotility of oesophagus and the reasons are:-

- if you were on non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (pain killers) for long time to relieve your pain of Osteo-arthritis (although you have stopped them now).
- severe mental stress
- obesity
- smoking
- alcohol intake( in case you do it)

The stuffy nose, throat, mucus can be due to a recent cold if you have suffered.

Also you said the retching occurs immediately after having food so it is more likely to be a gastro-esophageal reflux.

For diagnosis purpose you can get examined by a doctor and if he feels necessary he may advise investigations like
-Barium swallow

To get relief you can get prescribed some medicines to regulate the gut motility.
The medicines like domperidone are commonly used and along with proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole.

Consult a doctor and get treated.

In case of any further query please write back.

Follow-up: Retching followed by bowel movement, lightheadedness, heavy nose, mucus. Should I be worrying too much? 1 hour later
as a follow up, my sister is having her gallbladder removed this week due to gallbladder infection my mother also had a gallbladder removed years ago could this be involved?
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back
If a person has infection in gall bladder then he will have pain in his right upper abdomen just below the ribs on right side.
Pain;fever;tenderness are more importantly seen in such patients.
If you feel that you also have infection then to rule out the problem you can get blood tests and even ultrasound of abdomen done.
The better option I would suggest you is to consult a doctor and he will advise you the necessary investigations.
Once the diagnosis is made he will treat you.