Resurfacing mitral valve prolapse after smoking marijuana, get multiple panic attacks. Treatment guidance?

Infertility Specialist
Hello, It all started about a month ago. I smoked marijuana and then had a severe panic attack. I am 22 years old female 5"9 200 pounds. I was told I had mitral valve prolapse years ago by my doctor, but then when I had an ultrasound of my heart the cardiologist said no. I've had blood work several times. Plenty times actually. But the only thing that was show was a positive XXXXXXX reading but then I was tested again it didn't show one. I have been bedridden because I feel like my heart is pounding out of my chest when I stand. It scares me I also have severe anxiety and recently quit smoking when this started. For the last two days I've been having pains in my left side under my rib cage, I also feel short of breath, but the shortness of breath has been since I've quit smoking. I also have agoraphobia. I am seriously worried about my health but I am also depersonalized and scared to go to the doctor again. I have multiple panic attacks a day. I am severely depressed as well. And I am convinced that I have something seriously wrong with me. I would like to know your best advice and thank you.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 28 minutes later

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) These are symptoms withdrawal from smoking. You have to see a physician immediately for prescription of medicines.

2) Dont be afraid as it is common to have these problems temporarily after stopping smoking. Please seek medical help immediately for withdrawal symptoms which can be easily managed with medicines.

I hope I answered your query.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol