Results of MRI impression was Nonspecific deep white matter disease of indeterminate chronicity. Meaning?

Nov 2013

Results of MRI impression was Nonspecfic deep white matter disease of indeterminate chroncity. Consider infectous inflammatory and ischemic process.

I was not given a clear explanation from my eye doc. What does the impression mean in laymans terms?
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 days later

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted the history and MRI brain impression. As mentioned, these findings are not specific for any one disease. The final diagnosis would depend on the clinical presentation, as well as the MRI findings.

The most likely diagnosis in your case would be ischemia- lack of blood flow to the brain. They can also be called as XXXXXXX strokes. Common risk factors for this are high BP, sugar and cholesterol. Aspirin tablets are useful in preventing stroke recurrence in future.

Other possibilities mentioned are infection and inflammation. In these conditions, fever and headache would be the main symptoms.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist