Result of CAT scan shows prominence of left ovary. Suggests cancer?

I am 68 years old and had a cat scan for something else and it showed mild prominence of my left ovary. What does that mean and is it cancer

Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Mild prominence of ovary found on CAT scan with no abnormal mass or any cystic lesion is nothing to be worried about. It is nor indicative of cancer.
Usually after menopause ovaries regress. In your case one of the ovaries are prominent which might be due to the hormonal changes in your body or some medication you must have taken.
Definitely I would reassure you saying that a prominent ovary is not a health concern. Do not worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: Result of CAT scan shows prominence of left ovary. Suggests cancer? 15 hours later
Also on the form from the radiologist was mild prominence of the left ovary; f/u pelvic sonogram. Does that mean anything? As you can see I worry about what I'm going to worry about.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Only prominent ovary with normal size is not clinically significant.

A follow up ultrasound scan is suggested only to assess the echotexture of the ovary in a better way.
To clear your doubts it is best to go for a follow up ultrasound scan.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.