Restricted movement due to calcium build up on the knees after a fracture. Cure?

My husband had an accident last January and shattered both of his ankles. He now has restricted movement on both feet and the X-rays show a calcium build up which if causing the reduced movement. What is the best thing for this.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 9 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

After going through you history, I would like to suggest the following:

1. Calcium build up around the fracture site (Callus calcification) is normal in the process of fracture healing.

2. At present your husband has no other complaints except restricted movement of both ankles.

3. In such cases active and passive exercises of the ankle under supervision of a Physiotherapist helps to restore the functional mobility of the ankle joint.

4. Hence I would suggest your husband to initiate physiotherapy sessions under supervision of a physiotherapist and in consultation with your orthopedic doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up query if any.
Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Wish you good health.

Take care .

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra