Resting pulse rate, AFIB, weakness, dizziness, GERD, on nexium, tramadol, tylenol

i am 74; resting pulse rate is 42bpm; wt 275# am i in trouble? I am currently taking nexium for gerd and tramadol for pain along with tylenol. i had afib about 5 years ago. lasted about 6 months and went away. I am very weak and some dizziness?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 31 minutes later
Hello and Thank you for your query.

Presence of weakness and dizziness along with a low heart rate (42 Per min), indicates the possibility that they could be due to your pre-existing condition of Atrial fibrillation. A low heart rate is expected at this age however we need to read other details along with the heart rate, like regularity, rhythm, volume of the pulse too. This helps further.

Hypertension over a long periods can cause cardiac hypertrophy and this can result in such changes in cardiac contractility, and is one of the main causes of atrial fibrillation.

A few details, including your blood pressure recordings and the treatment you are undergoing, for blood pressure ( if any) might help for a proper assessment of your high blood pressure.

For proper assessment of your condition, a physical examination, along with a few necessary tests - EKG, echocardiogram and if needed a holter EKG might be helpful.

In addition, treatment of your High BP would also be important.

You might consult your doctor specially a cardiologistn by appointment, for assessment of your condition and initiate proper treatment, as needed.

I shall be available to answer any follow up questions, or any doubts that you might be having.