Resting heartbeat, rises after eating, fluctuating BP. Cause?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I have a resting heartbeat of 98-102. When I eat it goes up to about 105-115. It stays at that rate for up one to two hours after I eat. That is when I am sitting down. I have been sitting down after I eat until my pulse goes back down to 98-102. When I am standing, my pulse is 120. When I am walking and moving around, my pulse is like 130-140. When I went to my local urgent care, my blood sugar was 87 four hours after I ate. My pulse was 99. I just have been sitting down a lot so as to not have a high pulse. I do not like to go anywhere because I don't feel like my pulse being so high.
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 8 hours later

Thanks for query.

High pulse rate is known to occur with exertion; however I agree with you that your pulse rate is abnormal and with minimal exercise it’s raising so much more than usual. To take forward the evaluation, I would suggest that you should have cardiac evaluation with echocardiogram and electrocardiogram (EKG).

Only abnormality I gather from your description is anemia (low hemoglobin). Perhaps rechecking hemoglobin level and correcting it is advisable.

There is no real reason for you not move around unless it is making you unusually uncomfortable. Do get the aforementioned tests to know if there is an underlying cause other than anemia. You may also have your thyroid profile checked.

Please get back to me with report and I will be available to provide more information pertaining to this issue.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to revert if you have any additional queries.

Follow-up: Resting heartbeat, rises after eating, fluctuating BP. Cause? 11 hours later
Thank you Dr. Koregol. I had an EKG done last week. And the doctor says the EKG was perfect. I had my TSH checked also, the doctor says the levels are normal. I have a doctor's appointment next week to check my hemoglobin.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 24 hours later

Hi and thanks again,

I am a bit concerned with your heart rate, but it's good to know that EKG is perfect. I would also be pleased if 2D echocardiogram is perfect. Discuss with your cardiologist if it's not yet done.

Hyperthyroidism was another condition which was in my mind, but good to know it's also normal.

Rectify anemia if hemoglobin is still under normal range. If high pulse rate persist, medications like small dose of beta-blocker can be started under guidance of your doctor.

Hope this answers your query.