Resting heartbeat 38 bpm, smoker, methadone, neck problem, shortness of breath, hypotension

My resting heart beat is 38 BPM is this OK? I am a 54 year old male and i work electrical construction. I quite smoking 7 weeks ago now. I am wearing a smokers patch and I am on methadone for a complicated neck problem, (methadone for approx 2 yrs) I Take 160 MG per day. I also find myself sort of breath since I have quite smoking. Even after 7 weeks I am still hacking up will you know lets just say my insides.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

The Low heart rate could be a long term side effects of the Methadone you are taking , I would suggest you to consume more water which can bring up the blood volume and thus the heart rate.

The Low heart rate is the indirect effect of the drug , which actually happens due to the direct effect on the BP lowering it by the drug.Get your BP checked periodically and rule hypotension which is one of the cause for stroke in people of your age.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Resting heartbeat 38 bpm, smoker, methadone, neck problem, shortness of breath, hypotension 10 hours later
what exactly is hypotension? and what r the reasons for one to have it.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up ,

Hypotension means Low BP.
Some of the common causes for the same are Dehydration,Moderate or severe bleeding,Severe inflammation of organs inside the body,Weakened heart muscle,Medications like calcium channel blockers, beta blockers, methadone and those used for treating depression, such as amitriptyline (, Parkinson's disease, such as levodopa-carbidopa, erectile dysfunction (impotence), such as sildenafil (Viagra),Alcohol and narcotics also can cause low blood pressure.

Hope this answers your query in complete.