Respiratory infection, on mothers milk, ragi, cherry mixed with milk, cerelac. Diet suggestions for infants ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Our daughter is 6 months old.We are feeding her mothers milk,Ragi Cherry mixed with nandhini milk twice a day.Also cerelac once a day. Is nandhini milk and cerelac good to use because she is suffering from respiratory infection after started using cerelac.
Kindly suggest any solid food, vegetables and fruits. and suggest diet chart from 6 months -2 years.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 58 minutes later

According to your history the child seems to be accepting oral feeds well. She is being given ragi, milk which are XXXXXXX in protein. You may continue giving this diet. Make sure the diet is XXXXXXX warm before giving. Avoid very hot or cold food.

You can try different kind of preparation for your child. The most popular one among children is khichidi or a mixture of rice, dal, banana and a little cooking oil into a mashed consistency which is like paste. Your child will love this preparation. You can add fruits like cherry, banana, kiwi, and also cooked and mashed carrots, beans, ladies finger and well cooked potato. You can also add chicken strands, scrambled egg to the mixture.

Try the above recipe as it is XXXXXXX in proteins, and carbohydrates and will give good energy to your child. Do continue breast feeding as usual. Make sure your child is well hydrated.

Usually children can eat regular food which parents are eating by 1 year of age. So kindly give her the same food including chicken, eggs, rice, all kinds of fruits and vegetables. Try to give as much natural food as possible instead of just cerelac. Ragi is a very good option as it is XXXXXXX in protein and iron. Encourage plenty of fruits and vegetables in diet everyday.

If your child develops any signs like noise on breathing, excess secretions from lungs, drowsiness, not accepting feed, she will need medical attention. This is only for advice.

You can get a diet chart by clicking on this link,
I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Respiratory infection, on mothers milk, ragi, cherry mixed with milk, cerelac. Diet suggestions for infants ? 3 hours later
Hello Doctor Aashish,

Thanks for the information.

Is nandhini milk mixed with ragi good for her diet?
Is feeding ragi twice a day good for digestion?

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes. The combination of ragi and XXXXXXX milk is good as it is XXXXXXX in proteins. Also do add pulses, cereals and oil in the diet to make it whole and balanced as this is the time the child is growing.

You can give ragi twice a day. There is no issue in this. Do give a fruits everyday as well. Fruit gives all necessary vitamins and minerals for the body.

I hope, I have answered your query.