Respiratory infection, low temperature, shivers. What is it?

General Surgeon
Hi Doctor
I ave a viral respiratory infection and have been running a low temperature with it. Last night I woke up freezing with shivers and feeling really terrible and had to get back in bed with multiple layers of clothing till I warmed up 2hrs later. I am sure that was hypothermia.
I had another virus this year and although it was not as bad, my body temperature was low.
I am a 64 year old male and have always had a low grade fever in the past with such viruses.
Can you tell me what is going on.
Many thanks XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 51 minutes later
Viral respiratory infection is caused by air droplet spread.
In some people, it will cause fever with chills and rigors.Then,it subsides after few hours.
It is natural.
There will be severe body pains in some.
If it is complicated with bacterial infection,there will be cough ,sore throat etc.
If you know the exact cause of this infection,like if you get fever when you are exposed to dust
, then you should avoid exposing to dust.
As the virus particles are not seen in the air,you can get this fever when you are exposed to them.
You have to.take treatment for the symptoms.
Please take paracetamol tablet 4 times daily,antibiotic Azithromycin.
Take bed rest
Avoid cool drinks,cool weather.
Nothing to worry
Wish you good health
Follow-up: Respiratory infection, low temperature, shivers. What is it? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor
Thank you but I'm most concerned about the 95.5 temperature I had last night and it is currently 96.7.
Why do I have borderline hypothermia instead of a normal fever.
Which if you re-read my my query is my only concern as I know all about the treatment of vital infections.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 17 hours later
Hypothermia is the term used to decribe temperature below 95 degrees.
It is normal and physiological for the temperature to become lower than normal sometimes after taking medicines for fever.
The other factors which play a major role are Cool climate and Alchohol which lower the temperature.
As per your medical history,you are having anxiety disorder.Some anti depressents,Tranquilizers may also cause hypothermia.Check the drugs that you are using for anxiety disorder.
So,the changes that you are having are not pathological,they are physiological.
Wish you good health