Reports show cervical spine demonstrates a mild scoliosis convex left. Osteoarthritis throughout the cervical spine. Remedy?

I went for back last week and the result came back as this: The cervical spine demonstrates a mild scoliosis convex left. Alignment of the cervical spine is otherwise normal. The bertebral body heights are maintained and no fracture is seen. There is only minimal disc space narrowing and degnerative disc disease at C5/6 and C7/T1. The remaining disc spaces are maintained. There is quite prominent facet osteoarthritis bilaterlly thoughout the cervical spine. The lumbar spine demonstrates normal alignment. The vertebral body heights are maintained. There is mild disc space narrowing at L3/4 and L4/5 and moderate to marked narrowing at L5/S1. The remaining disc spaces are maintained. the posterior elements are intace. Again there is quite marked facet OA extending from L3 to S1. So what type of treatment do i need to quite rid of this pain especially in my neck area. Is Chiropratic work good for me can you give me options for this condition other than surgery
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 58 minutes later

Thank you for writing in.

From your query I learn that you have neck pain , and scan revealed mild scoliosis with cervical spondylosis changes in form of osteoarthritis at facet joint with multiple disc mild at C5/6 and C7/T1, and L3/4 and L4/5 and moderate to marked narrowing at L5/S1.

These MRI spine changes are milder one as the roots and spinal cord are not compressed.

If you were my patient here, I would suggest the following,

1) Cervical collar

2) Avoid heavy weight lifting for next 3 months

3) To take rest when ever severe pain occurs

4) Neuralgic drugs like pregabalin if radicular pain in arm present

5) Methycobal suplements to strengthen nerve

6) Calcium supplements to enrich bone

7) short course of pain killers to take care of inflamamtion at joint ( facet osteoarthritis)along with antacids

8) Cervical exercises ( to strengthen paraspinal musles to prevent further prolapse disc)

9) Lumbosacral belt if has associated back ache

10) Chiropractic ,involving cervical traction will help if symptoms persists on conservative treatment.

Treatment options to be decided based on Neurological examinations

Hope I answered your query.Please get back if you require additional clarification

Follow-up: Reports show cervical spine demonstrates a mild scoliosis convex left. Osteoarthritis throughout the cervical spine. Remedy? 32 minutes later
i am taking Adville is this good and i also rubbing Rub-A535 cream on me. i also have s sholder electric heating pad that is placed over my shoulders and my neck. and an electric massager. I have just recently started sleeping with a pillar between my legs. Most of my pain is in my neck. I sit at reception in a large firm therefore a collar would not work for me at work. I walk alittle but i find it just make it worse sometime. i am 5 ft 2 inches in height and i weigh 125lbs so my weight is not an issue. Some of your terminology i do not understand can you simplify things for me more. thx
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 35 minutes later

Advil contains ibuprofen that is good pain killer you can continue for short duration Have plenty of fluids when you have it.

There is no replacement medicines for cervical collar, which is very important.

Neuralgic drugs , are drugs used for unbearable nerve pain due to impinged nerve which can be tried in your case.

Word cervical spondylosis is broader name which indicates degenerative changes of spine , disc, and facet joints .

Rest of treatment you mentioned will reduce neck pain can be continued