Reports show VDRL negative and TPHA positive. can I plan for a baby?

Sep 2013

VDRL Negative and TPHA positive hello Doctor, i recently got VDRL negative and TPHA positive, Doctor asked me to take penicillin(24) injection for 4 weeks. first week, nurse didnt inject full injection only penicillin 12 was injected. next 3 weeks i have taken full injection of penicillin 24. i got rashes before taking penicillin, rashes are not fully cured. still i have marks on the body. i want to know, whether i am fully cured or not. i am planning for baby. please help.
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Treatment depends on stage of illness Detailed Answer: Welcome to XXXXXXX You got VDRL negative and TPHA test positive. VDRL is a very sensitive test for syphilis and TPHA is specific test for this antigen. As TPHA was positive so treatment is must for cure. You got Penicillin 1.2 million units in first week and then for next three weeks you got 2.4 million units. Usually as per guidelines, treatment of syphilis depends upon stage of illness. Most of the cases that have early syphilis or infection are usually given single dose of injection. Only in late syphilis therapy of 4 weeks is given. As most likely, you had primary syphilis so you got right treatment. The rashes will take time to get resolved. With time, the skin will come to normal tone. I would advise you to not to plan for baby for at least 6-12 months. Repeat the VDRL and TPHA tests at 1, 3 and 6-month interval. If after six months all tests come normal then you can plan for future. As these are antigen tests so they can come false positive and there is no need to worry about that. As you have got right treatment so most likely now you are infection free. Thanks, if you have more questions you can ask again.
Follow-up: Reports show VDRL negative and TPHA positive. can I plan for a baby? 44 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your response. i am planning for sperm injection method for baby planning. Does the sperm will contain infection??? please let me know.
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 8 hours later
Brief Answer: STD Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX. Thanks , As I mentioned in previously reply wait for another 12 months and then try for baby. Yes sperm may have infection . Good luck. If further any question ,you can ask. Dr.HET
Follow-up: Reports show VDRL negative and TPHA positive. can I plan for a baby? 20 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. is it possible to test whether the sperm have any infection or not? if its not there after the test, can i ask to doctor to inject?
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello again Detailed Answer: Blood investigations use serum to detect the antigens of the organism. The commonly used tests like VDRL, TPHA use blood only. Specific tests are based on blood only. If blood investigations come normal then sperms will be normal also. I failed to understand your second question. What do you want to get injected by doctor? you can ask again in follow up... Thanks.