Report shows plate-like densities right middle lobe, probable atelectasis versus scarring. What does this mean?

I need your help to understand this, "plate-like densities right middle lobe, probable atelectasis versus scarring. cannot completely exclude resolving infiltrates. Follow up suggested.
PA and lateral views obtained. No comparison

FINDINGS: The heart is not enlarged and the vasculature is not engorged. Plate-like densities of the right middle lobe may represent some atelectasis or post inflamatory scarring. No alveolar infiltrates are specifically identified. Costophrenic and costoverterbral angels are clear

Thanks for your help
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 57 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

From the investigation conducted, following are the results:
-Your heart is perfectly normal (size, structure, etc.)
-There were some changes noticed in your lung tissue which could be due to the obstruction of airways or due to pressure from surrounding lung tissue which could have resulted in a condition called atelectasis
-Or some condition (infection or inflammation) that has healed and resulted in scar tissue (which forms after healing) formation, that causes the tissue(in this case airways) to contract, causing some restriction or limitation in passage of air through the airways
-The radiologist also adds that a condition (eg. pneumonia) that can cause such a picture also cannot be ruled out
No other changes were noticed

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW . I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.