Report shows Prominence of nasopharyngeal soft tissue likely lymphoid in nature involving region of tonsils and adenoids. Meaning?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
'Prominence of nasopharyngeal soft tissue most likely lymphoid in nature involving the region of tonsils and adenoids. Clinical and laryngoscopy correlation is indicated to further evaluate this finding.'- What does it mean
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Thank for your query.
The tonsils and adenoids are an area of lymphoid tissue at the back of your throat. They are involved in fighting off infection that you may breathe in. They can enlarge when they are inflamed and can be quite painful.
This is the most likely cause of prominent tissue in this area.
Laryngoscopy is an investigation involving a closer look at the tonsils and adenoids with special equipment that will allow the specialist to examine the back of your throat in more detail. The specialist can then decide whether the result of the initial examination when you first saw him/her fits with the result of the closer, more detailed, examination. This will allow a more accurate diagnosis.
I hope this has been of help to you and if I can answer any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger MBChB

Follow-up: Report shows Prominence of nasopharyngeal soft tissue likely lymphoid in nature involving region of tonsils and adenoids. Meaning? 7 hours later
Please confirm this type of swelling or soft tissue is not related to anything cancerous.
Thanks.

Thank you for your question.
I am not able to confirm the exact diagnosis on the basis of the information you have at this time. You need to be seen and examined fully by a doctor for the diagnosis to be confirmed.
The most common cause of swelling in this area is inflammation but there are other causes.
I am sorry that I cannot be any more specific than this.

Dr K A Pottinger MBChB