Ask a Urologist   »  

Report shows Gallbladder is well cistended with no stones or wall thickening. What does this mean?

What does this mean: Gallbladder is well cistended with no stones or wall thickening. Left Kindey measures siginificant larger than the right, possibly due to difference in imaging technique/visualization. Correlate clinically.

This was on the readiologists report on my abdominal sonogram this morning. I have been feeling abdominal and back pain.

The right kidney measures 9.7 cm and the left 11.6cm. No hydronephrosis.

Do you know what the estimated time for a response is? Thank you. :)
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

A distended gall bladder distended with no stones or wall thickening means the bladder is lightly increased in size, with not stones or increased wall size of the bladder. The differences in the sizes of the kidneys is not actually significant, and is commonly seen. What is comforting is that there is no hydronephrosis, meaning there is no accumulation of urine in the ureters (tubes that connect the kidneys to the bladder), thus no blockages of these tubes.

Due to the pain and differences in the sizes of the kidneys, and with the results which are not that contributing, I suggest you consult an internist for a proper clinical evaluation, especially to ensure the integrity of the kidneys. Blood creatinine levels, Calcium levels measurements and Potassium should be sufficient to give required information with respect to the kidney function. Secondly, your physician shall reexamine you again to check , especially for the XXXXXXX sign for bladder disease. Blood Bilirubine and Gamma GT tests are usually sufficient.

The echography (ultrasound)/Sonogram at times is usually operator dependent. Depending on the findings of your internist, you might have to carryout this examination again for one to be very sure.

Thanks and hope this helps. I do not think you should panic especially for now. Be calm, book your appointment, get a proper clinical review and maybe another sonogram/ultrasound.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Report shows Gallbladder is well cistended with no stones or wall thickening. What does this mean? 29 minutes later
Thank you very much for this explanation. What is done (are there different courses of treatment) to deal with the pain of the gallbladder? And to cure its distended state? The kidneys have less of my worry at the moment because they don't hurt. Also, what caused distention of the gallbladder in the first place? Thank you so much for your very thorough and thoughtful answer above.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 10 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question,

The first thing is actually confirming that there is actually something wrong with the gall bladder. Considering the fact that there are no stones in it, and the size is not exorbitantly enlarged, although a control ultrasound still needs to be done to ascertain its actual size, this should not be an actual call for concern now. However, gall bladder disease is generally observed in women who are fat, above forty years of age. The cause can be inflammatory, an infection, a blockage on the outlet of the bladder preventing drainage of bile and predisposing to infection and rarely tumors. This deserves a careful clinical evaluation , a good ultrasound(sonogrophy) and specific blood tests as I earlier mentioned above.

Its based on these findings and results of the ultrasound or CT scan, depending on the case (initial evaluation of the internist) that the actual cause of this distension, if confirmed could be well elucidated.

For now, a clinical review by your doctor should give an idea and actually orient towards the exact cause of pain, and may be other possible causes. I suggest you remain very calm and fine till you XXXXXXX your doctor. I am convinced there is no reason for you to panic now, though insisting you get a proper clinical evaluation, preferably done by your internist.

Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Report shows Gallbladder is well cistended with no stones or wall thickening. What does this mean? 3 hours later
So I guess I'm feeling left-out in the category of reasons why I have a distended gallbladder (that hurts!), why it happened and what will be suggested to me about what to do about it. I'm sorry if this sounds obtuse, but my condition is a lot easier to explain when there are gall stones involved, and my sonogram revealed none. Just wanting to know what insight you have... thank you again for your extremely attentive thought and explanation in above responses. It's really meant a lot to me.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 0 minute later
Hi and thanks for the comments. I wish you good health and would be most grateful learning progress in your health when you go for the next visit. Do not hesitate using our platform when need be.

Best regards as I hope to see you soon.

Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Report shows Gallbladder is well cistended with no stones or wall thickening. What does this mean? 12 minutes later
Hello Dr. Luchuo,

I'm certain your response didn't address my questions and concerns that I just sent you. Are you still willing to review them? About my intense gallbladder pain?

Thank you for all your time and consideration. I so DO appreciate it. You're wonderful so far...
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I think the first and most important thing is actually having a clear proof that the pain you are having is of gall bladder origin. This shall take into consideration the clinical presentation (site of pain, associated symptoms and other parameters during the physical examination), sonographic findings (ultrasound, which in your case was already done, as as I mentioned before, is very operator dependent and might need to be repeated and the biological/blood sample test results with levels of bilirubine and an enzyme Gamma GT measured in blood. It s based on these three considerations that we shall, we a high degree of certainty be actually sure you got issues with your gall bladder. It s true it is distended now, but with lack of stones in the bladder and very unclear directly linked signs and symptoms, it might be very difficult for us to actually think your gall bladder has a problem. Further investigations as I mentioned above are actually required.

If gall bladder distension or attainment is actually confirmed, then other causes apart from the stones, if noted to be absent still shall be actively searched for. As I mentioned inflammatory disease, bacterial infection or viral, blockages of the bile duct either due to a tumour, a cyst etc.

It is still very important to ascertain the pain you got is not of another cause, that it is from the gall bladder. When confirmed, other examination s directed in identifying the exact cause shall be done.

Thanks as I hope this helps,

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.