Report showed low monocytes, elevated bilirubin. Should I be worried?

Oct 2013

Hello. I'm 42 & just had a physical. Lab tech called me to say my cholesterol was elevated at 217 but that's normal for me. Didn't talk about anything else said it was good outside cholesterol. Got a copy of report & saw my total bilirubin was elevated at 1.7 & absolute monocytes was low at 180. All else was in range but now I am concerned about these areas not discussed with me on phone. Should I be worried?
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need lipid lowering medication, investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

I understand your concern.

yes, your total cholesterol is borderline high (normal range is 200 - 239). Similarly total bilirubin is marginally elevated and monocyte count is below normal.

Though the values are marginally abnormal, I would be able to better interpret and address your concerns if you can provide the complete laboratory report data - all other liver function test report and lipid profile details. It would also be better if you can answer some of my questions such as:
- what were your complaints and duration of those problems ? ( I would like to know the reason why the tests were performed)
- any medical and surgical history other than asthma.
- history of hypertension and diabetes.

There is no need to panic and the values are not grossly abnormal especially if you do not have any symptoms.

I will await for complete details to give you my opinion.