Report showed fatty liver and enlarged liver. Taking Razel F 10 and Omacor. Treatment?

Question
I have query related to fatty liver or enlarged liver. I did my liver function test recently and found that my alkaline phosphate level is high(beyond 600). After that I did my upper USG and report says fatty liver or enlarged liver. I started taking Razel F10 and Omacor for last one month to reduce my trygleceroid levels. My trygleceroid level is now 200. I am not sure whether any such medicine affected my liver function or not. I dont feel any stomach pain but for last few days I am not feeling so satisfied after taking food. Please suggest the way forward or line of treatment or diet /lifestyle change. I am nonalcholoic.

XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concerns,

I have gone through your history, you have fatty liver and high Triglyceride and alkaline Phosphatase level (>600).I am sure these medicines must have been prescribed to you and your triglyceride level is 200 now.

There are many causes of fatty liver like metabolic syndrome (Diabetes, Hypertension, Obesity, and Dyslipidemia), many drugs and alcohol. High alkaline Phosphatase is seen in liver diseases in your case it could be due to fatty liver.

I would like to know following before answering in detail:
1) What is your height and weight?
2) Do you have family history of Diabetes and did you test your blood sugar level?
3) Do you take any medicine regularly?
4) Do you smoke? I am happy that you do not take alcohol.
5) Do you have any pancreatic disease or issues?

Those have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease with pure steatosis. Gradual weight loss is often the only recommendation.

In diet low calorie diet with 30% calories from fats out of which 10% should be from saturated fats. The Trans fats (Hydrogenated oil and deep fried items) must be avoided avoid soft drinks as they contain fructose syrup.
In case of high level of Triglyceride even high carbohydrate diet is responsible in many patients.

Please provide above details, once I get them will be able to answer in detail.
I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest.

With Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Report showed fatty liver and enlarged liver. Taking Razel F 10 and Omacor. Treatment? 7 minutes later
my reply below -

What is your height and weight?

height - 5 ft 7 inch, weight 80 kg approx

My father had sugar problem but sugar level is normal.

3) Do you take any medicine regularly?

yes I was taking Razel F10, Omacor. I have been prescribed Fenodac and Ursokem 300 but I have not started yet.

Yes but lite smoker.
No.

Thanks for your prompt follow up,

Tour height is 5 feet 7 inches your weight is 80kg that means Body mass Index is 28 and desirable is less than 25.

Please understand treatment is lifestyle modification that is changes in diet and regular physical exercise to lose weight approximately 10 kg but slowly.

You have to take care of diet as explained and regular brisk walking daily for more than 60 minutes. Please have small target losing 1 kg every month should not be difficult, I wish you good luck. Please take small and frequent meals and eat slowly to satisfy yourself.

Razel F is Statin and Fenofibrate is used for lipid abnormality and high triglyceride level. Please continue as per advice of Physician.

You can take UDCA (ursodeoxycholic acid) that is Ursokem there is no problem in taking the medicine.

Please quit smoking as it is not good for health you know.
Hope I have addressed all your concerns, If you have any doubt please ask me. I will be more than happy to help you.

With Best Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.